Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Where It All Began.

It is unknown as to where the celebration of April Fool's Day began. Some believe that the holiday started in France, when they switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar as called for by the Council of Trent. For some people, it took them longer to adjust to the new calendar. So while most people were moving in to the new year those who were slow to get the news and continued to celebrate it in the end of March through the beginning of April became the butt of jokes and hoaxes.

Another belief is that April Fool's Day originated from the vernal equinox, when the first days of spring began in the Northern Hemisphere, when Mother Nature tricked people with changing and unpredictable weather. In Britain people would celebrate the holiday over two days, where they played simple pranks on people such as pinning "kick me" signs on peoples' backs.

Many people as well as companies participate in this holiday worldwide. Many countries have their own ways to celebrate a holdiay which brings out the kid in all of us.



4 comments:

Lori A. said...

Devon, Very interesting theories on the beginning of the celebration of April Fool’s Day. How long ago did the switch from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar take place? Is April Fool’s Day celebrated in other countries besides the US? If so, how do they go about celebrating? Do other countries celebrate on different dates? You mentioned that your birthday is on April 1st. I’m sure that you’ve had a lot of pranks played on you because of this. Are there any that you can share with us on your blog? I like the Mother Nature theory that you mentioned especially considering how we’ve been experiencing such unpredictable (and unseasonal) weather lately. You’re off to a good start with your blog; I’m looking forward to returning soon to read (and learn) more! Mrs. A.

Ashley said...

Hey Devon,
I just wanted to say from reading your opener I have learned more about April fool’s day than I ever have in my life! It amazed me to find out that there are some many different kinds of pranks and how this holiday originated so close to us. I can’t wait to read further into your blog, if has already given me some good ideas for next year’s April fool’s day. Thanks so much and talk to you on the bus! Bye Dev!

Anonymous said...

Hey devon,
thanks so much for showing me this blog. Because i discovered it i have given up religion, and converted to this blog. It is the best. I love it so. if i was an ant, this would be my hill. If i was a bird, this would be my nest. I would lay eggs on it. I would live a happy life in this blog-nest with three baby birds, one of which would sadly die trying to fly too young. The other two would go on to live out their lives; one as a drug dealer and one as a buisness major at stanford. We could only pay for one bird to go to colleged, so we had three assuming two would die young. When they both lived, we let the dumber one become a drug dealer to support himself through college. Devon likes clocks, have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

sorry, to clarify, Devon likes big black clocks, or grandfather clocks.